Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cornbread for your Chili

You asked for it.  Well, even if you didn't, I know that you wanted it.  The recipe for that beautiful cornbread.  So tender.  So lovely.  So...easy!  One taste of this cornbread, and you'll never go back to that jiffy mix again. 



Sister's Cornbread

1 stick salted butter
1 cup self-rising cornmeal
1/2 cup cream-style corn
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar
2 eggs
1 small onion, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the stick of butter in a small baking dish, and place in the oven.

In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients. When the butter is melted, mix it into the batter. Pour the batter back into the casserole and bake for 40 minutes.

*This recipe is for a small baking dish. I used a 7 x 11 dish, and it was perfect (an 8 x 8 would work, too). If you use a standard 9 x 13 dish, double the recipe.
Pin It!

6 comments :

Barbara said...

I have this recipe & your mom is the person who gave it to me - it's in her handwriting! Unfortunately, I've never made it. I've been having a hard time finding self-rising cornmeal, but no problem finding self-rising cornmeal mix. Do you think I can use them interchangeably? Thanks!!

Patty said...

My husband is a fanatic when it comes to cornbread! But everytime I find a recipe, the bread comes out hard and crumbly! This recipe/your cornbread looks incredibly moist and sweet. Will certainly try this one at the holiday table this year! Thank you!

Dorothy at Belle of the Kitchen said...

Barbara, I have used both Cornmeal mix and cornmeal for this. With the mix, some of the cornmeal will be replaced by flour, but it is still delicious!

Patty, let me know how it turns out! This bread can be a little bit crumbly, but it is incredibly tender.

Sarah Barry said...

I LOVE this cornbread Dorothy. Thanks for posting it. Hope all is well...I guess y'all are probably getting ready for exams.

hmsimoneau said...

I tried this one tonight. It's a hit! Okay, so I knew my girls would object to the onion, and I had a mishap with the melted butter (and therefore used less), and I used a muffin pan for carb-counting ease. I think it still counts as your recipe. ;)

Dorothy at Belle of the Kitchen said...

Hayley, I'm so glad that your family enjoyed the cornbread! And what matters most, it's now YOUR recipe!