Thursday, August 6, 2009

BBQ Sauce

Well, like I have said, last weekend we had some friends over for BBQ. It was my first time to cook Boston Butt, and although it was very good, I will keep looking for a good rub recipe. The BBQ sauce, however, is tried and true, and will make any mediocre BBQ sandwich an excellent one. I think that it is better than anything that I have ever had from a jar, even though it is made up from mostly canned and jarred items. Also, it makes quite a lot, but it freezes well and keeps for a long time in the refrigerator.

BBQ Sauce

From Ina Garten's The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook


1 large Vidalia onion, chopped

3 cloves minced garlic

½ cup vegetable oil

1 cup tomato paste

1 cup cider vinegar

1 cup honey

½ cup Worcestershire sauce

1 cup Dijon mustard

½ cup soy sauce

1 cup hoisin sauce

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin (Original recipe calls for 1 tablespoon)

½ tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes


Sauté the onion and garlic over low heat in the oil for about 15 minutes.


Meanwhile, measure out all of the other ingredients into a medium bowl. Mix well, and add to the onions when they are done. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes; stir occasionally with a wire whisk. Store the sauce in the refrigerator.

Pin It!

4 comments :

The Fearless Fowler said...

Yum! I am going to have to try this. One question: what is hoisin sauce?

Dorothy at Belle of the Kitchen said...

Good question! Hoisin sauce is an oriental marinade. Look for it in the oriental section of a grocery store (sometimes I can find it at Walmart, but most of the time I have to go to a more comprehensive grocery store). It usually takes one and a half 8 oz bottles to get a cup.

MaryMartha said...

thank you! I guess I should have asked how you made your boston butt too :) Your blogging makes me hungry.

Dorothy at Belle of the Kitchen said...

MM, my dad is the king of BBQ-ing. He cooks the boston butt on the smoker with a rub, it takes 4-5 hours and gets a great smoky flavor.
Because we don't have a smoker/grill, I cooked it in the oven at 250-300 degrees for about 5 hours. I rubbed it with magic dust http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Smoky-Grilled-Pork-Steaks-with-Magic-Dust-235347
and poured a little bit of whiskey in the bottom of the pan. I covered it with foil and just let it cook. When it was done, I let it cool and pulled the meat, discarding as much of the fat as I could. I would suggest only covering it with foil for the last half of cooking, that way it will get nice and brown, but you keep it moist towards the end of the cooking time.